Clubs:





History
History of the Roscommon and District League up to 2006
by Vincent Brookes 5th December 2002

The history of Association Football, better known as soccer, in Count Roscommon Dates back to the year 1887 when on the 20th February two teams from Castlerea played against each other in a game that finished level at 1-1.

A year later Castlerea Celtic played Athlone Town and won 1-0. The earlier games involving Castlerea Teams were termed friendly games, as there was no real structure for competitive football. Through out the 30’s and 40’s the team came and went

before being reformed in 1958. At its AGM in 1948 the officers elected were President Rev. Fr Fallon, Chairman Joseph Leech and Betty Gillen was the First Secretary. In late 1958 the Club secured a pitch from the then Town Councillors in Castlerea at Woodview.

The Pitch was officially opened by Westport. In January 1959 Castlerea Celtic played Castlebar in Castlebar and the game finished level at 3-3. The President of the Roscommon and District League Ray Kirrane played in goal on that day wearing a large black Jersey.

more..
20/02/2016 22:57